Tuesday

Student Spotlight: Hunter Hammond

Interning in Washington D.C.

My summer in Washington D.C. was by far one of my most memorable and enjoyable summers of my life. Not only did I learn a great deal about the fields that I was interested in, but I also grew more as a person during that summer than any one before it. Now, I have studied abroad, worked at some pretty fun and exciting places, and had very enjoyable summers before; however, nothing can compare to D.C. I was hired to work in Congress as the Congressman's personal aid where I assisted on healthcare initiatives and political strategy for important bills. Half way through the summer, I was asked to work for a Healthcare Consulting Firm with an emphasis on bipartisan healthcare lobbying. While there, I was asked to author a white paper regarding legal safe harbors encouraging the use of Electronic Health Records. The white paper was approved of by our clients and sent to the White House and every Member of Congress.
Aside from the work, the city was a phenomenal experience. Washington D.C. is a very young city and there is always a huge amount to do. There are free concerts in the parks every weekend, special events that come to town every week or two, and more than that there are events that are planned specifically for interns so that the interns can have a pleasant experience. I made incredible friends in D.C., friends that are truly going to make a difference in the world. People in D.C. really know how to celebrate national holidays! There was something happening everyday; you couldn't help but enjoy the atmosphere of the city. No city has compared to D.C. in all of my experience and to be honest, I cannot wait until I can go back. If you are young and have a desire to really try and make an impact on your world, then Washington D.C. is the city for you!

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Hello readers!
Every week, Career Services will be posting blogs by students who have had experience with internship or full-time job searches. We hope that their experiences provide guidance to those of you who are or will be searching for jobs or internships soon! If you would like to contribute to the Career Services blog, e-mail us your blog post and a picture to gtcareer2011@gmail.com and stay updated with our Facebook and Twitter for more information!

1 comment:

  1. If one is old and have a desire to make an impact, DC is also for you!
    Ed Miron
    GA Tech Class of '76

    ReplyDelete